Wardens of Unity|Site Info|Guild website
Main Forum
Page
of 6

Guide to Naming Conventions: FFXIV:ARR Lore info

54 replies
here's some link for each race (and a dictionary for the potential Roegayden's like me!)

Roegayden Naming Conventions

Roegayden Dictionary

Lalafell Naming Conventions

Miqo'te Naming Conventions

Hyur Naming Conventions

Elezen Naming Conventions

I'm not a "Role Player" per say but i love to stay as immersed as possible in the world, surrounding myself with as much lore as possible and (since i normally main Pld or some form of it in various MMO's), keep true to my class/job's personalty. My first name may not cover this (if i stay Roegayden) but my Surname sure as hell will.

FFXIV official Lore Forums
Posted Jun 5, 13 · OP · Last edited Aug 25, 13
147 posts
+74 votes
Untagged users
I'm not sure what to do about naming. I'd like to use a name that goes with the naming conventions for the race I choose but I also have a name picked out from a book I like. It almost feels like cheating to use a name from a book though.

On a related note, how do names work? I know there is a given name and a surname. Can multiple people use the same surname? I assume given names are unique?
Posted Jun 5, 13
Naelo a
277 posts
+89 votes
Admins
Party Time!
On a related note, how do names work? I know there is a given name and a surname. Can multiple people use the same surname? I assume given names are unique?
I believe both are up for grabs, you just can't have the exact same given, and surname as someone else. Though I do know a few people who played with family, and/or spouses would sometimes choose the same surname.

My given name will be Naelo, unsure of surname so far. I doubt I have to worry much, like someone who picks a character from a popular book/movie/show etc, as it's a name I just randomly came up with years back. One of the only places I've tried to use it where it was taken was on PSN. Some Spanish guy had it who never even signed in anymore, which kind of pissed me off.
dd084c764c61dadd.png
Posted Jun 5, 13
DragonReborn wrote:
I'm not sure what to do about naming. I'd like to use a name that goes with the naming conventions for the race I choose but I also have a name picked out from a book I like. It almost feels like cheating to use a name from a book though.

Same issue here. ( Jacen = Jacen Solo.) I may adjust my given name a bit, just for fun, but I figure with the Surname, I can at least give the conventions some love.
Posted Jun 6, 13 · OP
Daxxi a
191 posts
+170 votes
Admins
Shin Kicker
Naelo nailed it, the combined given/sir must be unique but you can have multiples of each part, so families will work
7b8917f2a2229cf3.png
Posted Jun 6, 13
36 posts
+15 votes
Untagged users
Thanks for posting this here! I'd put it on the facebook but was having difficulty formatting things to post it here from my phone! Much appreciated.
Posted Jun 6, 13
43 posts
+16 votes
Untagged users
I HATH DECIDED ON A NAME~!!! WITH THE HELP OF THE NAME GENERATOR FOR SURNAMES!

This.

...Since Elezens' names are similar to what the name I want, I decided on the race, too. *cough*
And I want to be tall for once.

Now waiting for the inner man to decide on a male Miqo'te name. Gyehe. <3
Posted Jun 6, 13
21 posts
+14 votes
Untagged users
*tries generator for hyur, gets "Littlejohn Young"*

Ok I lol'd
Posted Jun 6, 13
Naelo a
277 posts
+89 votes
Admins
Party Time!
wrote:
*tries generator for hyur, gets "Littlejohn Young"*

Ok I lol'd
Sounds like a winner!
dd084c764c61dadd.png
Posted Jun 6, 13
43 posts
+16 votes
Untagged users
Doesn't beat Gigila Gila. Gila means 'crazy' in malay...

Or Kukuqi or something. Little kids' version of 'that'. xD
Posted Jun 7, 13
Page
of 6
Top Posters
Announcement of